Monday, February 4, 2008

Listen with me...

Two gigs went part way to filling my social calendar this week - one a brand new band without a record deal and the other a reformation. Glasvegas at Korova on Wednesday and The Pale Fountains at The Academy on Saturday. Both a joy to behold. And both a million miles away from my previous outings at the new stadium. You may remember I claimed to like my gigs dark and sweaty. Well Glasvegas ticked both of those boxes with the added element of not even being able to see the band apart from the top of a couple of heads. This didn't take away from the enjoyment at all and despite them having only a small setlist, I was happy to pretend I was 19 again.

And about 19 I would have been, I reckon, when I was listening to The Pale Fountains the first time around. They're only doing two gigs - sorry if you've missed them, but you did miss out - so there's a little treat above/below...(sorry this video thing is all new to me)

Like most gigs I go to it was full of tall men of a certain age. This time they managed to restrain themselves from talking throughout. Maybe because they realised that they were in for a rare treat. Why do people pay good money to go to see their favourite bands and then proceed to chat to their mates most of the time. It's beyond me and I know several people who would rather have a talking ban at gigs than a smoking ban.

Two fantastic nights and neither one particularly happening because it's the year of the Capital of Culture. I suspect both bands probably have a healthy disinterest in the trappings of the music industry but both brought joy to my heart and ears this week. I want to spread the joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the words of the Pale Fountains, 'Thank You' for spreading the joy!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, gorgeous! A return to teenage kicks, an ace video and joy to heart, ears and Kirkbygirl fans. Spread the lurve, Dollface! The campaign against the Tall Men With Nothing To Say starts here. As for dark sweaty gigs: fancy coming to see The Osmonds at Wembley in May?