Monday, January 21, 2008

The Number One Project

Liverpool has had 56 number one singles in the hit parade. I'm not bragging or saying this for camp effect (well, that bit isn't true - I love saying things for camp effect). It's a fact. Actually, as the night of the Number One Project Concert wore on, it was discovered we've had 57 number one hits. My favourite quote of the night - "Carol Decker. T'Pau. China in Your Hand. Born in Huyton". And it wasn't even from Billy Butler. But all this must be sounding very retro and insular to anyone not born within a ten mile radius of the Liver Building. So to the concert itself...

Due to a slight ticket hiccup we arrived a few songs in and I have no idea what we missed. But the seats were good. Seven rows from the front. And in an arena that seats 10, 600 this helped us get into the spirit of things. I hate big arenas. I like my gigs small, dark and slightly sweaty. But this was different, as I hope most things during the Capital of Culture year will be for me. Part of the reason for this blog. It's at this point that I'll say half of me was going with a firm sense of irony and the other half looking forward to seeing bands like China Crisis, The Farm and Shack. Not for me the mawkish sentimentality that often abounds in this city I call home. Ha. How we laughed. Or rather how I stood up and swayed along to Ferry Across the Mersey, All Together Now and You'll Never Walk Alone. Poor Sonia, she came on far too early to get everyone on their feet. And if someone would like to explain to me what Dr and the Medics were doing there then I'd happily listen. For about three seconds...

An Evertonian friend went off to the pub before Gerry got into his stride and I doubt anyone under forty would have had a clue what Mike McCartney and Scaffold were going on about. But being present for a real life rendition of Lilly the Pink pushed all my camp, retro and irony buttons for a good few years. I can't say I'd want to do it again in a hurry but it's a great project. To find out more go to http://www.thenumberoneproject.org/ It's a charity event and a frigging brilliant idea, you've got to admit.

I'll finish with a real brag - Yours Truly puffed up with pride when Gary Daly from China Crisis dedicated Wishful Thinking to all the Kirkby Girls. Oh what a night...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

look up the 23rd turnoff's 1967 michaelangelo on itunes. is this the greatest unsung record to come out of liverpool? or more specifically, kirkby. the 23rd turnoff where dubbed thus as that is the junction on the m6 which still leads to the a580 and home on early forays to london. the group's leader jimmy campbell had also fronted the kirkbys in the early 60s- named after the town they lived in by cavern dj bob wooler. jimmy sadly passed away in feb last year. wouldn't the world have been a better place if china crisis had sung that? there's far more to liverpool music than cilla covers. who's going to sing kardomah cafe by the cherry boys? or shout out for personal column? there's a whole year to fill- these people need to dig deeper. when else is anyone going to bother?

Anonymous said...

I'm seething with jealousy (camp effect: high). The closest we south westerners get to a gig like the one you've so gracefully recounted is The Wurzels playing at the Ashton Court festival - and even that hasn't happened for at least 10 years.

Wish I'd have been right there in row 7 with you, but in a small way, I now feel as though I was. Fab post. Was Con McC compering, by any chance?