Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Face Off

Something has been troubling me for a few days now. Facebook has been generating quite a lot of publicity, most recently in Monday's Guardian. The latest party pooper reckons that there's nothing sadder than the man who was sat at his computer on a Saturday night with a glass of wine sending messages to friends on Facebook. Excuse me, hasn't he heard Half Man, Half Biscuit singing there's nothing better than writing on the sole of your slippers on a Saturday night...? Each to their own. As the great Nigel Blackwell knows. I resent being told what I should be doing on a Saturday night, or any other time, in fact.

Too often lately I've found myself trying to justify why I joined Facebook or what I do on it. Mind your own bloody business and join up if you're that interested. It's hardly any great secret. And anyone with a computer and a service provider knows that sometimes hours can pass before anything that anyone could call useful happens. We're all guilty of it. Be it solitaire, digital spy or wikipedia...indulging in guilty pleasures is one of the best bits of the technology.

But it seems that Facebook is the current bete noire of the media, some of my mates and even the lovely boyfriend (who keeps slagging it off and then going back on). There are things I hate about it too - the endless and pointless groups that are formed. The pathetic chain mail messages. And the people who change their status update on an hourly basis. Not interested. But I don't want to be told what I shouldn't be wasting my time on when I'm messing round on the net. I have deadlines for that. We'll get over it. It will pass. For now let us enjoy nosing at other people's photos. Leave us to wonder at why some people need so many friends to prove their worth. And get back to wasting your own time.

Now, who can I poke today?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Dolly! And anyway, what does the lovely boyfriend know ... ?

Gotta fly - my status hasn't been updated for a full seven minutes. Poke me baby one more time ...

Anonymous said...

what happened to talking about that big nosed tub thumper from madryn street flogging his crap new record on the roof? did you see him on j ross? charmless and transparent (an achievement alongside the arrogant pensioner's licence fee robbing host himself) but somehow believing his rude and greedy product flogging turn was amusing. what's wylie minogue been up to in his gold jacket this week? is that it until mccartney does the frog chorus symphony with the philharmonic in the summer?

paintpusher said...

Hey Kirkbygirl...what's a "tub thumper"?
anyway...um...Facebook?!?! Social Networking sites?!?!?!...All a hype...Their motto: first get them there...then, just when they're having fun... blast them with advertisements...don't be fooled...that is...of course...unless you enjoy it! I for one only like the "spying" aspect of it...can't look at one more "Panda Bear" video or idiotic "Movie Quiz" that doesn't load properly...by the way, have your kids accepted your invitations to be friends?